Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Photo You've All Been Waiting For: Me Wearing a Kira

At Uma in Kabesa
One of the perks of being a Bhutan Canada Foundation teacher is that every once in a while, Sam Blyth, one of the founders of BCF and its biggest promotoer and fund-raiser, travels to Bhutan and takes some of the BCF teachers out for dinner.  Last night, Andrea Giesbrecht, Thubten Senge and I were treated to a five star meal at Uma, a very swank hotel north of Punakha.  I felt it would be appropriate to wear my new, hand-woven kira.  Here I am in it, standing on the balcony at Uma.

Thanks to Sam for a really lovely evening and a break from saag and ema datse!

5 comments:

  1. Love it! You look very elegant (but I have to wonder, is the kira itchy at all?) And what a different experience from your everyday, please write about dinner in a later post. It is gorgeous there...more pics when you can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I am as curious as you are. Maybe she has on a long, silky slip under the skirt. Perhaps it is made out of the same satiny looking material as the blouse.

    I think I see a wooden heel under the skirt. Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How regal you look Madame Sarah! Gorgeous photo! Thanks for all the posts. So, my nephew Galen, who is in his PhD program in Boulder, may be headed to work in Bhutan this summer!! Will keep you posted on that.

    Spring is slowly making its way to Maine. I have daffodils blooming on the south side and a huge heron was taking flight from the pond behind our house and headed right over us in the field room. Birds are chirping and snow is melting. Leaf out is coming! Hope is everywhere! Be well and thanks for sharing! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, Sarah....I finally figured out my way to your blog! You look like a local! Best wishes to you and your students. Keep the communication coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Oh, and the mountains look great as well. Very love!y Sarah.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete