Friday, April 26, 2013

STUDENTS from PUNAKHA HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL #1 : Chhimi Selden

Chhimi Selden

Life is not a bed of roses. For me life is really challenging since I am from a poor background. My dad left me when I was only a month old. I have never seen him and I miss him sometimes when I see my friends with their dads. Since ninth grade I have been staying with my grandparents because my mom can't afford to send me to school but now I'm living with my mom. Now I'm in eleventh grade. Actually my mom used to stay in Thimphu [our capital] with my step father who is of no use. Since she was having some problems with him she shifted to Punakha [my village] with my two younger brothers. So me and my elder brother decided to stay with her and help her.

As there is no one to help my mom she sometimes goes to work under some people which I hate the most. I wanted to keep her from doing any work because most of the time she feels sick. But we don't have another option as there is no one to help us and  my brother has completed class twelve last year and his marks were not good enough to get him a job. I really love  to help her. Since she goes outside to  earn money, I handle  the chores at home. I do all the  chores at home like washing clothes, preparing meals, cleaning the house, fetching water, giving baths to younger ones as I don't want to give her more burdens anymore. These are the things I do other than studying. I love to study and I have been doing pretty well in my academics. Helping my mom became my passion. Though I don't get good clothes to wear or good meals to eat, still I'm happy because I'm with my lovely mom.

Because of all this I study very hard. Usually many people say that they can't study because there situation is not good and they can't concentrate. But I strongly disagree because for me this situation makes me work really hard, as this situation keeps on reminding me that I have big responsibility to do. To get a job whereby I can help my mom as well as keep her happy. Not only this, my aim in my life is to give the best education to my younger ones. So, I aim to be a Journalist if not at least a teacher.

My questions to all you readers are: What are the things that you do with your parents at home? What do you do besides go to school?

From Bhutan,

Chhimi Selden                 

                                                                                                              


3 comments:

  1. Dear Ms. Selden,

    You certainly have no difficulty expressing your emotions in written form. Good for you! Many people never reach this important skill.

    I met your teacher in the state of Indiana at a teaching conference a few years ago. I teach all subjects to 5th graders. This is my 33rd year of teaching.

    Have you ever heard of the expression, "She wears her emotions on her sleeve?" Does that describe you?

    I am sad to read about your difficult home situation. I have had many students through the years with similar home conditions. I tell them all, that they need to remember that they won't always be living in their present situations.

    The one sure fire way to climb up and out, is through education. You may have more rungs than many to climb, but with hard work, you will get there.

    On that very special day that you have reached your FIRST GOAL, find the highest mountain top. Climb on top of it, put your hands in the air, and spin around in every direction. As you are twirling around with a big smile on your face, know that every teacher in the world, will also be with you on your special day. You may not be able to see us, but we will know that you are there, and we will be so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I can tell by your writing that you have been studying hard. Keep up the good work!

    I am sorry that things are so difficult for you at home. I respect all of the things that you are doing to help your mother. She must appreciate all of it so much.

    To answer your questions:(I am 31, so not a teenager - but figured I would write to you nonetheless)
    I live in New York City, and my parents live in a different part of the country far from here (about 8 hours of travel). So when I am with my parents I just enjoy their company - talking about our lives, current events, telling past stories, etc. We like to do things outdoors - fishing, or sitting by a fire. My mother and I like to enjoy a glass of wine together. My father and I like to tell stories or do work outdoors around the house or garden.

    In my free time when I am not working I like to do lots of things. I like to play sports - especially softball. Basketball too. And I like to ski in the winter. I am married, so I like to be with my husband. We like to eat dinner together (sometimes at a restaurant) and we like to sit and chat with each other about how our days went. We like to walk around New York City and enjoy seeing all of the different people and buildings.

    Best of luck with your blog.
    Ember

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    My name is Kowsar and Ms.Shmitt was my teacher before she left. After reading what you wrote I just had to reply. I am 18 years old. I am so proud of what you are doing for your family. If you want to talk to me just ask Ms. Shmitt for my email. I hope we can be friends. =D
    Oops!! I can't believe I almost forgot to answer your questions. I talk to my mother, we watch tv, and we cook. When I don't have school I go shopping, volunteer, and watch Korean Dramas/movies.

    ReplyDelete